History & Architecture
Trinity Cathedral was the dream of the first Bishop of Easton, The Rt. Rev. Henry Champlin Lay. The original plans were for a group of buildings to provide Diocesan offices, a library, and Bishop’s residence around a courtyard in the style of much larger English cathedrals. The building was begun in 1891 at a time when few American dioceses had cathedrals.
The first services were held in a partially completed building in 1892, but by 1894 the building, except for the spire on the tower, was completed and consecrated. Most of the furnishings of the Cathedral, including the marble baptismal font, the brass pulpit, and the eagle lectern were in place by 1894. The stained glass windows were given at various times from 1891 to 1979. The variety of styles reflects changing tastes over almost a century.
The Cathedral is built of granite, reportedly shipped by water from Port Deposit, and slate in the English Gothic style. The interior wood beams and trusses emphasize the ascendant roof as do the clerestory windows. Although it is diminutive in size, the cruciform (cross shaped) plan is carried out in the transepts, and the high altar is placed in a rounded apse.
The exterior of the building was completed in 1978 with the addition of the spire on the tower. The bell was cast in the Philippines and originally hung in the Chapel of the Epiphany in Preston, Maryland. The renewed focus at that time on the Holy Eucharist throughout the church led to the central placement of an altar at the crossing as was typical in medieval cathedrals.